Additional study at Texas Christian University, the University of Texas at Dallas, and in the M.A. in Philosophy program at Texas A&M University
Provost Emeritus, Vice President for Institutional Assessment, Professor of Philosophy and Ethics, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (1997-present)
Associate Professor in Philosophy of Religion, and Convener of the Philosophy of Religion Department, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (1990-1997)
Guest professor at Oradea Bible Institute in Oradea, Romania (1995); Bucharest Theological Seminary in Bucharest, Romania (1991, 1995); St. Petersburg Theological Seminary in St. Petersburg, Russia (1993), Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (2003), Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (2005,2009), and the Advance International/NOBTS certificate program in Grand Cayman Island (2010)
Chairman, Department of Religion and Philosophy, and Associate Professor of Philosophy, Williams Baptist College (1984-1988)
Instructor in Philosophy, Blinn College (1988-1989)
Instructor in Philosophy and Ethics, Weatherford College (1981-1983)
Teaching Fellow in Philosophy of Religion and Systematic Theology Departments, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (1978-1982)
Instructor in Philosophy, Tarrant County Junior College (1979-1980)
Board Member, Louisiana Tech Baptist Student Union Alumni Association (1974-1975)
Experience in Bioethics, Chaplaincy, and Governmental Ethics
Appointed by the Governor of Louisiana and confirmed by the Louisiana legislature to the Louisiana Board of Ethics and the Committee on Campaign Finance (2012-2015)
Bioethics Committee, Memorial Hospital System (Baptist and Mercy campuses), New Orleans, Louisiana (1998-2005)
Member, Commission on Christian Ethics, and Academic and Theological Education Workgroup of the Baptist World Alliance (2000-2004)
Institutional Ethics Committee, John Peter Smith Hospital, Fort Worth, Texas (1993-1997)
Chaplain, Clinical Pastoral Education at Baylor University Medical Center (1991)
Volunteer Chaplain, Humana Hospital Brazos Valley, College Station, Texas (1989-90)
Spiritual Life Committee, HCA Greenleaf Hospital, College Station, Texas (1989-90)
Volunteer Chaplain, Palo Pinto County Hospital, Mineral Wells, Texas (1980-84)
Experience in Academic and Scholarly Guilds
Elected to the Board of Commissioners of the Commission on Accreditation of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATSCOA)(2014-present).
Appointed to an ATSCOA Data-Sharing Policy Task Force (2017-2018)
Served on the Doctor of Ministry committee in the ATS/Lilly Educational Models and Practices in Theological Education study (2016-2017)
Workshop presenter, "Assessing Institutional Preparedness for Natural Disasters, at the annual Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges meeting in Atlanta, Georgia (December 2016)
Trained as a QEP Lead Evaluator by SACSCOC (July 2016).
Elected to the ATSCOA Committee on Reference and Counsel, ATSCOA Annual Meeting, St. Louis (June 2016).
Member and chair of various visiting committees for the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACSCOC), and for the Commission on Accreditation of the Association of Theological Schools (ATSCOA)(2004-present)
Member, Evangelical Seminary Deans' Council (2014-present)
Member and rotating facilitator, Council of Seminary Deans of the Southern Baptist Convention (1997-2017)
Peer evaluator for papers submitted to the Evangelical Theological Society, and for articles submitted to the Hope's Reasons Journal of Apologetics.
Presentation on “New Models for New Times: Managing Educational Change,” at the annual Chief Academic Officer Society of ATS meeting in Chicago (March 2015).
Led two workshop sessions on "Preparing for Disasters and Pandemics," presenting "Disasters and Institutions: How We Survived Katrina and How We Plan to Survive the Next Disaster," (with Dr. Mary Currier, Deputy State Health Officer for Medicine and Science at the Mississippi Public Department of Health, who presented "2009 H1N1 Influenza: Or How We Are Putting Pigs at Risk"), for the Mississippi Association of Colleges and Universities 76th annual meeting at Mississippi College (October 2009).
Facilitator of a Theological Institutions discussion group at the SACS meeting in San Antonio, Texas (November 2008).
Member and chairman, Lilly Faculty Grants Committee for the Association of Theological Schools (2003-2007)
President of the Southwest Regional group of the Evangelical Theological Society (1995-96)
Over 50 scholarly presentations at professional scholarly meetings (1987-present, see detailed list below)
The Christian Philosophy of Emile Cailliet. unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, available at the Cailliet Collection of the Robert E. Speer Library of Princeton Theological Seminary and at the A. Webb Roberts Library of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1985.
A Brief History of the First Baptist Church in Santo (Santo, Texas: First Baptist Church, 1982).
Living Hope: Studies in I Peter (Jackson, MS: Video Publications, 1982).
Joy in Christ: Studies in Philippians (Jackson, MS: Video Publications, 1980; reprint ed., Nashville: JM Productions, 1981).
"God's Love for Believers: Romans 8:28-39," in Evangelism, Traditionalism, and the Book of Romans: Essays in Honor of Harold F. Hunter, ed. Johnathan Pritchett and Braxton Hunter (Newburgh, IN: Trinity Academic Press, forthcoming 2016).
"Biblical Authority: What Is the Nature of Biblical Authority?" with John Walton and Kenneth Samples; and "The Anthropological Evidence: How Does Behavioral Anthropology Inform Your Positions?" with Jeff Schloss and Fuz Rana, in iOld-Earth or Evolutionary Creation? Discussing Origins with Reasons to Believe and BioLogos, BioLogos Books on Science and Christianity, ed. Ken Keathley, J. B. Stump, and Joe Aguirre (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Academic, 2017).
"Preface: The Life of Gray Allison . . .” in Festschrift for Gray Allison, ed. Archie England and Roger Duke (Memphis: BorderStone Press, forthcoming 2016).
"A Biblical Assessment of Abortion,"in Worldview Study Bible, ed. David Dockery and Jeremy Royal (Nashville: B&H, forthcoming).
"Sola Fide, Sola Gratia, and Sola Scriptura," in The Popular Encyclopedia of Church History, ed. Ed Hindson and Dan Mitchell (Eugene, OR: Harvest House, 2013), 310-313.
"Does the Bible Affirm that Animals Have Rights?" and "Does the Bible Teach the Abuse of Nature?" in The Apologetics Study Bible, ed. Paul Copan, Ted Cabal, and Chad Brand (Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2007).
Seven articles ("Authority," "Hellenism," "Logos," "Preparation Day,""Seven Words from the Cross,""Suffering," and "Time, meaning of,") in The Holman Bible Dictionary, rev. ed., ed. Chad Brand, Archie England, and Charles Draper (Nashville: Broadman and Holman, 2003), 145-146, 746-748, 1044-1045, 1326, 1467-1469, 1539-1540, 1595-1597; and two articles ("Preparation Day" and "Seven Last Words from the Cross,") in the original version of Holman Bible Dictionary, ed. Trent Butler (Nashville: Holman, 1991), 1135-1136, 1250.
"Who Will I Be in the Next Life?" in Fake Answers, ed. Jon Brooks and Karen Jones, pp. 75-82 (Nashville: Convention Press, 1995).
Articles in Scholarly Journals
“The Uneasy Conscience of Southern Baptists: Support for Slavery among the Founders of the Southern Baptist Convention,” Baptists and Conscience in Public: Legacy and Future Implications, in American Baptist Quarterly, vol. 34, no. 3-4 (Fall-Winter 2016), 254-270.
"History or Revisionist History? How Calvinistic Were the Overwhelming Majority of Baptists and Their Confessions in the South until the Twentieth Century? Southwest Journal of Theology 57, no. 2 (Spring 2015), 227-254.
"Evolution and the Problem of Evil,” posted in the “Southern Baptist Voices” series of dialogues in the BioLogos Forum between SBC scholars and the Christian scholars from the BioLogos organization, which favors theistic evolution.
Articles in the Biblical Illustrator --
* "The Mount of Olives," 13, no. 2 (Winter 1987), 42-49.
* "The Law and the Prophets," 14, no. 3 (Spring 1988), 23-25; reprinted in Winter 2013-14 edition also.
* "Angels and the Angel," 16, no. 3 (Spring 1990), 20-23.
* "Mount Carmel," 17, no. 4 (Summer 1991), 2-3, 7-9.
* "The Elder in the Early Church," 19, no. 1 (Fall 1992), 59-62.
* "History: The Setting of Luke’s History," 20, no. 2 (Winter 1994), 14-19.
* "Peter’s Shepherd Assignment." 27, no. 4 (Summer 2001), 52-54.
* "Andrew: Just Peter’s Brother?" 29, no. 3 (Spring 2003), 30-32.
* "'Falling Away' or 'Erring' from the Faith?"30, no. 3 (Spring 2004),52-54; (also included in the premiere issue of Biblical Illustrator Plus (Spring 2004), an interactive CD-ROM).
* "Caesar Is Lord vs. Jesus as Lord," 32, no. 1 (Fall 2005), 28-33.
* "The Sanhedrin: Their History and Function," 34, no. 4 (Summer 2008), 16-19.
* "House Construction in the First Century," 36, no. 1 (Fall 2009), 24-27.
* "Judgment in Greco-Roman Thought," vol. 37, no. 4 (Summer 2011), 6-10.
* “The Law and the Prophets.” vol. 40, no. 2 (Winter 2013-14): 73-77, reprint of Spring 1988 article.
* “Christianity in an Age of Emperor Worship,” vol. 40. no. 4 (Summer 2014), 67-71.
* "Elijah and Jewish Messianic Expectations," vol. 41, no. 4 (Summer 2015), 78-81.
* "Rain as Divine Communication," vol. 42, no. 4 (Summer 2016), 27-30.
* "Hades: A First Century Understanding," vol. 43, no. 3 (Spring 2017), 49-52.
* "Stephen: All We Know," vol. 43, no. 4 (Fall-Winter, 2017-18), forthcoming.
Co-author with Ray Higgins, Paul Stevens, and Joe Gross of "Clinical Pastoral Education for Seminary Professors: Supervisory Considerations and Professional Benefits," Journal of Supervision and Training in Ministry, vol. 14 (1992-1993), 33-42.
Co-author with Ray Higgins of "Institutional Ethics Committees in Baptist-Related Hospitals: Survey Results and Analysis" (unpublished).
Publications for Ministers and Laypersons through Popular Media
"Reflections on Baptist Seminary Life," in Wake Up, Lazarus!, a website and listserve discussion list, posted 7/14/2017.
"Being a Neighbor," in Geaux Therefore, the NOBTS blog, July 18, 2016.
"Tough Decisions about Palliative Care," Mature Living (Leadership Edition), vol. 4, no. 3 (November 2004):1, 4.
"Tough Decisions about Euthanasia," Mature Living (Leadership Edition), vol. 3, no. 4(December 2004):2.
"Church Responses to End of Life Issues," Mature Living (Leadership Edition), vol. 4, no. 1 (January 2005):2.
"Are We Entering a 'Doctrine-Free' Era?"Preaching Now online newsletter vol. 2, no. 2 (July 10, 2003).
Articles in the "Theological Thought" column and other articles in the [Louisiana] Baptist Message --
* “Adjusting Your Leadership to Your Ministry Situation,” Baptist Message, May 26, 2011, p. 5.
* "Why Our Faith Is Secure: Salvation Is of God, Not of Us," (part 1), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 10
(May 13, 2010), 14; reposted by permission in the SBC Tomorrow blog, August 17, 2010.
* "Why Our Faith Is Secure: It is Based upon a Life-Changing Experience with God," (part 2), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 11 (May 27, 2010), 6; reposted by
permission in the SBC Tomorrow blog, August 25, 2010.
* "Why Your Faith Is Secure: Eternal Salvation Is a Scriptural Promise," (part 3), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 12 (June 10, 2010), 14; reposted by permission
in the SBC Tomorrow blog, August 26, 2010.
* "Why Your Faith Is Secure: Eternal Salvation Is a Logical Necessity," (part 4), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 13 (June 24, 2010), 14; reposted by
permission in the SBC Tomorrow blog, August 31, 2010.
* "Why Your Faith Is Secure: It is Based on an Unchanging Status of Relationship," (part 5), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 14 (July 8, 2010), 5; reposted by
permission in the SBC Tomorrow blog, September 17, 2010.
* "The Security of the Believer and Apostasy," (part 6), Baptist Message, vol. 125, no. 15 (July 22, 2010), 14; reposted by permission in the S SBC Tomorrow blog, September 20, 2010.
* "The Age of Accountability Is a Foundational Belief," Baptist Message vo. 125, no. 1 (January 7. 2010), 5.
* "The Benefit of Having Deacons," Baptist Message, vol. 124, no. 11 (May 28, 2009), 14.
* "How Deacons Can Help Their Pastors," Baptist Message, vol. 124, no. 12 (June 11, 2009), 14.
* "How Pastors Can Work with Their Deacons," Baptist Message, vol. 124, no. 13 (June 25, 2009), 14.
* "Harvel Pitman: A Deacon Exemplar," Baptist Message, vol. 124, no. 14 (9 July 2009), 14.
Devotional thoughts in eThoughts, available daily by email from (www.eThoughtsteam.com):
* "Be a Barnabas," an eThoughts devotional thought published online June 27, 2017.
* "Goin' Fishing," an eThoughts devotional thought published online June 1, 2017.
* "Reinventing Yourself," an eThoughts devotional thought republished online May 18, 2017.
* "The Great Chicago Fire," an eThoughts devotional thought republished online April 20, 2017.
* "The Crooked Sidewalk," an eThoughts devotional thought republished online April 6, 2017.
* "Ever Heard of Caesar Rodney?, an eThoughts devotional thought republished online March 24, 2017.
* "The Church Where Everyone Knows My Name," an eThoughts devotional thought republished online March 13, 2017.
* "Reinventing Yourself,” an eTthoughts devotional thought published online March 8, 2012 (vol. 6, no. 3-13G).
* "Horned Toads and Perseverance,” an eThoughts devotional thought published online February 2, 2012 (vol. 6, no. 02-08G).
* "The Crooked Sidewalk,” an eThoughts devotional thought published online January 19, 2012 (vol. 6, no.01-01G.
* “Overlooking the Christ Child,” an eThoughts devotional thought published online December 15, 2011 (vol. 6, no. 01-01G).
* "A Church that Everyone Knows My Name,” an eThoughts devotional thought published online October 28, 2011 (no. 11-64G).
* "Remember Christ – the ‘Who’ in Christmas,” an eThoughts devotional thought published online December 12, 2010 (no. 10-73G).
* "The Great Chicago Fire," an eThoughts devotional thought published online July 8, 2010,""
* "Ringing the Bell," an eThoughs devotional thought published online April 15, 2010.
* "Ever Hear of Caesar Rodney?," an eThoughts devotional thought published online March 26, 2010.
* "Making End of Life Decisions," in Faith and Family Values, December 2009 (Issue 2, 2009), 10-11.
Eleven issues of Home Bible Study Guide, a correspondence Bible course offered by the Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention. April, 1979; July, 1980; February, 1981; February, 1982; May, 1982; October, 1982; July 1983; March, 1984; August, 1984; August, 1985; and an issue on salvation republished by the Home Mission Board.
Over fifty lessons in Sunday School Adults and Sunday School Young Adults in the Convention Uniform Series of Lifeway Christian Resources of the Southern Baptist Convention, as well as contributions in The Adult Teacher, Adult Leadership, and teaching Kit (September 1986; June-August, 1988; September-November, 1989; December 1991-February 1992; and June-August 1995); and adult lessons in Pursuits (January-February, 1998; January-February 1999). Designing lesson outlines for the January, 1999 Life and Work lesson series.
Taught in twenty-one broadcasts of Good News over the ACTS/VISN television network (April, 1991; May-July, 1992; May-June, 1993; June-July, 1995).
Paper Presentations for Scholarly Meetings
“Eschatology Interacting with Ethics: The Theological Basis for Support for Slavery amoung Founders of the Southern Baptist Convention," presented at the Southwest Regional Evangelical Theological Association meeting on the campus of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (April 2017).
"Genesis, Science, and Scriptural Authority at Old Princeton: A Response to Bradley Gundlach," presented at the Dabar Conference, sponsored by the Carl F. H. Henry Center, at Trinity International University, Chicago, on June 10, 2016.
"Who Decides? The Role of the Family in Bioethics Decisions," Evangelical Theological Society annual meeting, Bioethics division, in Atlanta, November 2015.
"Who Lives? Who Dies? Who Decides? Medical Ethics in the Real World," participant on a panel at Loyola University, sponsored by the Center for Medical Ethics of the Louisiana Right to Life Foundation, with Jennifer Popik, J.D.; Jeff White, M.D.; and Kevin Wildes, S.J., Ph.D. (March 2014).
“The Articles of Religious Belief,” Founder’s Day presentation in NOBTS Chapel (October 2013).
“Who Lives? Who Dies? Who Decides? Medical Ethics in the Real World," a panel discussion on Medical Ethics co-sponsored by the Center for Medical Ethics of the Louisiana Right to Life Foundation, the Baptist Center for Theology and Ministry, and the Institute for Faith in the Public Square at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, with Jeff White, M.D.; Mari Wirfs, Ph.D.; Jose Lavastida, S.T.D.; and Burke Balch, J.D. (September 2013).
"The Authority of Scripture,” a white paper produced for Advisory Committee on Calvinism in the SBC (November 2012).
“Worship Wars: Baptist Theology as Expressed in Our Hymns,” presented at the Baptist History and Heritage Society annual meeting in Raleigh, North Carolina (June 2012).
"Worship Wars: Theological Perspectives on Hymnody among Early Evangelical Christians,” presented at the Southwest Regional Evangelical Theological Society meeting at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (March 2012).
"Addressing Postmoderns in the Pew,” a presentation for students and alumni at both the North Georgia extension center in Marietta, Georgia (September 2012) and the South Georgia extension center in Warner Robbins, Georgia (October 2012).
Dialogue with Dr. Herschel York on Calvinism, and Panel Discussion, at “Calvinism – Concerned? Curious? Confused?” conference sponsored by the Kentucky Baptist Convention, Crestwood Baptist Church in Crestwood, Kentucky, August 4, 2012. The MP3 download of both presentations is available at http://www.kybaptist.org/calvinism.
"Worship Wars: Baptist Theology as Expressed in Our Hymns,” presented at the Baptist History and Heritage Society annual meeting in Raleigh, North Carolina, June 8, 2012.
“Worship Wars: Theological Perspectives on Hymnody among Early Evangelical Christians,” presented at the Southwest Regional Evangelical Theological Society meeting at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, March 9, 2012.
"A Theological Protocol for Palliative Care,” training presentation for the Clinical Pastoral Education interns training at East Jefferson Hospital in Metairie, Louisiana (July 2011).
Two presentations at the “Evangelizing Eastern Religions” conference at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, including an overview of Eastern religions, including Buddhism, Jainism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shinto, Sikhism, and Baha’i, 10/14-15, 2011.
“What Every Chaplain Needs to Know about Biomedical Ethics” presentation at the Chaplaincy: Ministering in Caesar’s House” conference at NOBTS, sponsored by the Institute for Faith and the Public Square, 10/22/11.
“’No Other Name’: Justification by Faith in Christ Alone,” a paper delivered at the annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in San Francisco, California in November 2011.
"Moral Qualifications for Pastoral Leadership," at the E4 Pastor's Conference at First Baptist Church in Pineville, LA, September 13-14, 2010, co-sponsored by NOBTS, SWBTS, Louisiana College, the Louisiana Baptist Convention, and FBC Pineville.
"Just the Facts, Please: Setting the Record Straight on Stem Cell Research," with Don Buckley, at the November 2009 Apologetics Conference on the campus of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, sponsored by the Evangelical Philosophical Society.
Two workshop sessions on "Preparing for Disasters and Pandemics," presenting "Disasters and Institutions: How We Survived Katrina and How We Plan to Survive the Next Disaster," with Dr. Mary Currier, Deputy State Health Officer for Medicine and Science at the Mississippi Public Department of Health, presenting "2009 H1N1 Influenza: Or How We Are Putting Pigs at Risk," for the Mississippi Association of Colleges and Universities 76th annual meeting at Mississippi College, October 5, 2009.
"What Is It? Eight Characteristics of Postmodernism," "Pluralism and Pain in Richard Rorty's Liberal Utopia," and "Truth for a Postmodern Era," at Confronting Postmodernism: An Interfaith Evangelism Workshop at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, October 16-17, 2009.
"A Biblical and Theological Critique of the Doctrine of Irresistible Grace," at the John 3:16 Conference sponsored by Jerry Vines Ministries at First Baptist Church in Woodstock, Georgia, in November 2008.
"Let's Get Real! Magritte and the Nature of Reality," a response to "Putting God in a Frame: The Art of Rene Magritte as Religious Encounter" by Scott Drumm, the Ola Farmer Lenaz Lecture at New Orleans Baptist Theological
Seminary in December 2001.
Chair of the section on environmental ethics and respondent to "How to Think about Environmental Ethics" by Norman Wirzba, at the Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers biennial meeting at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, in September 1998.
"The Challenge of Postmodernism," at the April 1998 Scholar's Forum at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
"Subjectivity in Kierkegaard: A Reassessment," at a 1993 Southwest regional Evangelical Theological Society meeting in Chicago.
"A New Look at Kierkegaard’s Epistemology," at the 1993 Southwest regional Evangelical Theological Society meeting at Dallas Theological Seminary.
"Animals and the Problem of Pain," at the 1992 Southwest regional American Academy of Religion meeting at Dallas.
"Singing the Songs of Zion in a Strange Land: A Southern Baptist Teaching Philosophy in a State College Setting," at the 1990 Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers meeting at Baylor University.
"The Objective Pole in Kierkegaardian Epistemology," at the 1988 Baptist Association of Philosophy Teachers meeting at Belmont College.
"Lessing, Hegel, and Kierkegaard: Three Models for Religious Epistemology," at the 1987 Arkansas Philosophical Association meeting at Arkansas State University.
Numerous book reviews in theSouthwestern Journal of Theology, Theological Educator, Criswell Theological Review, The Southern Baptist Journal of Theology, Journal for Baptist Theology and Ministry, Faith and Mission, Catholic Books Review, Journal of Church and State, and the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (1986-present). For a chronological list of the reviews by date of publication,
see Chronological List of Book Reviews.